Friday, July 16, 2010

History's Greatest Monster AKA Brian

This won't be a very long post.

For three years I loved and cared about someone and each day that person hated me more and more for the simple reason that I did love and care about them. Finally, this morning I decided to stop being nice and return some of the verbal abuse I've been receiving.

I have found myself in this situation several times over the years. As long as people view me as a sweet, selfless, simple person they love to have me around but as soon as I start to become a complex person with needs and personal goals of my own...well, they can't handle that and look for the first sign that I'm a "bad" person and cut ties.

I don't want to be an angel.
Or a devil.
Just a man.

2 comments:

  1. I can relate to this Brian. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand your need to lash out. At first it will feel vindicating. But soon you'll realize that YOU are making yourself even more miserable, as now you've brought yourself down to HER level, and that's not where you belong.


    "As long as people view me as a sweet, selfless, simple person they love to have me around but as soon as I start to become a complex person with needs and personal goals of my own...well, they can't handle that and look for the first sign that I'm a "bad" person and cut ties." <--- That statement is telling me that as long as you act the part, people love you, but the moment they realize you are a MAN, with needs, and feelings that aren't reciprocated they cut ties.

    That my friend is life. Whether its work, friendships, or relationships, lose the dead weight, and move on.

    Someday your special someone will come along and I know that sounds cliché - but would you rather her meet the sweet loving man we all know you are, or the angry, resentful soul you’re becoming?

    We all get kicked in life. Knocked down by rejection. It's what you do while pulling yourself back up that is defining.

    ReplyDelete